In the Wikipedia reality and free source flourishing websites, it’s never been easier to plagiarize instead of sweating on paraphrasing, students often use the ready-made articles, presenting them as their own. But let’s have a look on how common is plagiarism among students? You might be surprised by the fact that even theses days some students claim to confuse the paraphrasing with summarizing, the chances are hight it’s their laziness saying because the plagiarism statistics are really striking. In order to write a meaningful paraphrase and paraphrase plagiarism you need to understand the topic you will be working with. Careful paraphrase is defined by this feature, only after this you can put the author’s thoughts and convert them into your words.
“McCabe’s surveys of over 70,000 high school students at over 24 high schools in the United States demonstrated that 64 percent of students admitted to cheating on a test, 58 percent admitted to plagiarism and 95 percent said they participated in some form of cheating, whether it was on a test, plagiarism or copying homework.”
Traditionally, an average student:
- Copied pieces of text from scholarly journals or books in the library
- Used the homework of the classmate
- Simply copy-pasted the text from the Internet source
Most plagiarism facts and cases tend to stay in the shadow that is unreported officially, the true numbers of plagiarism among students is approximately 1 in 6. On average the higher GPA rates also belong to the students who practice plagiarism, compared to their more honest peers. In fact a poll in Fordham University detected quite a gap between those 2 groups, thus cheaters can show off 3. 41 points whereas non cheaters only 2.85. Whiler the teachers to bust them. Variety of plagiarism checking tools have appeared in the web, free of charge and the the Internet is a number one source helping students to steal information it now became even greater source fo most specialized and precise ones. Such sources as Turnitin and many others allow professors to check the work for the plagiarism.
Why Plagiarism Can Be Dangerous?
The most often consequences for plagiarism that students face:
- Lost trust and bad reputation, meaning your work will always be under suspicion of stealing in the future.
- Formal warning. Some institutions practice the plagiarism announcements in order to prevent the cases from other students.
- Public shaming. Not the very widespread practice and not the most enjoyable to say the least, if it’s common for your college have no doubt the same might happen one day with you.
- Assignment rejection. The most common consequence among all the mentioned ones, mind that this might also include the no mark or bad mark scenario when the plagiarism has been detected too late for fixing.
- No opportunity to resubmit. One of the most severe punishments for plagiarizing the source that will often lead to the failed course.
- Reduced qualification. At times when the plagiarism is found accidentally, after your defended the work and got a mark such consequence might influence your qualification in the end. In the most difficult cases student even loose a degree.
- Expulsion. Rare but probably the most dreadful scenario for all plagiarizers. You have a greater chance if it’s not the rare practice for your institution.
Different Words, Same Meaning or Easy Guide to Fix Your Paper:
- Reread the original text source until you are 100% sure you understand the meaning of it and can explain the thing in your own words. If you can’t explain it to a six-year old you don’t understand it yourself. A. Einstain”. Set aside the original text. “Make your own notes: write down your thoughts, and most important parts and details that you remembered.”
- After you wrote down the information summarize it at the top of your notes. For this put a 20 key words and a come up with a phrase, representing the main idea of the topic.”
- Reread your notes and make sure you neither plagiarized the source word-in-word, nor distorted the initial idea of the text. Use quotation marks to identify the terms you copied from the source. If you notice you used the same words as in the original source substitute them with the synonyms.
- Check for the missing information that you left out and incorporate it into the topic using your own words. Reduce the information that seems redundant and doesn’t bear any essential significance. In fact, the more you modify the text structure and alternate the paragraphs, not only words the more quality you bring to to your paper.
- Go back and recheck again. You will also need to make in-text references on the topic you’ve been paragraphing. After the work has been made check use the online tools that will help you identify the percentage of the plagiarism. In thoroughly written papers the originality is always close to 98-100%. When you’re not sure you have enough time for finishing the paper yourself use reliable online paraphrasing service that shortly will make everything for you.
Ineffective Paraphrasing Strategies:
- Using the same sentence structure
- Only shifting the words with the synonyms
- Not mentioning the sources and presenting the text like their initial idea
- Including own irrelevant opinions considering the topic.
“Exception: When paraphrasing, you do not have to directly cite common knowledge. Common knowledge is information that is widely known and can be found in multiple places. For example, writing that Ronald Reagan was a U.S. Republican president would be considered common knowledge, so it would not need to be cited. However, when in doubt, it is always better to cite than run the risk of plagiarism.”
Example of the good paraphrase:
Here you in the bad example you can clearly notice the original sentence structure and the same words used. Instead, in the good example you can also find an MLA citation in the text, accrediting the original source. In case you find it difficult to access how far have you gone from the actual source to the original there is a wide selection of tools that can help your work and make it impeccable.
Here are some of them:
7 Free Tools for Paraphrasing Plagiarism
If yo need to paraphrase your text effectively you can spin the texts in the article spinner like Ez Rewriter. This tol is characterized by the quick action and free acess. You don’t need to download the app, just visit the site and paste your piece of text. This service creates relatively high quality and unique content that can be used then either for websites content.
With this tool it is possible to replace the words of the article with the synonyms. The tool will scan the texts you provided and find alternatives for the words, highlighting the text so that you know what words have been replaced and control the whole rewording process. Reverse the original words by clicking in the word and select the other one, that will be suggested by the system. The tool has around 500,000 synonyms available, and yes it’s free.
Plagiarisma is another free article rephraser it can spin the article and find the synonyms to your words, check the major plagiarism issues and even correct a grammar as a bonus.
Article rephraser and rewriting tool that is also positioned itself for the creative content making. Using Spinbot you can instantly rephrase a chunk of content up to 10,000 characters in length (about 1000 words) that is more than can be offered by other tools online. Free of charge, this online tool also has an option to spin capitalized word.
Content professor is featuring a a free and paid article rephrasing, it offers a smart decision for content rephrasing and is more suitable for academic texts. For this one you need to create a free account.
It’s a desktop app that provides more extensive features for paraphrasing. Professional content marketers often use it for more profound paraphrasing. The blue words show you the content that can be substituted, you need to hover the mouse over the words in the window and select the word you think is the best option for your text. Formerly paid program is now free of charge and features a short explanation video of how to use it.
A very useful tool among bloggers that helps to spin and rephrase the existing text. Caligonia makes the rephrasing more human oriented and easy to digest. The tool is available online and is free of charge.
A Pro level paraphraser can even add more significance to the original version, interpreting the facts and ideas in a different way and perspective. There are 2 substantial tricks that help you to convert the topic into authentic work: selecting the synonyms and sentence restructuring that should always be used together.